Friday 10 October 2014

Bermuda Triangle!



Well, the island of Bermuda was the reason I disappeared off the internet for a couple of weeks recently. You can't get connectivity there - at any rate that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;-)

I mean, how could this compete with Facebook for my time?

Yes,  I was off abroad again. Why Bermuda? Because of this:


And this:



And this:
So many shipwrecks!


Also, I have a friend who lives out there and I wanted to play Call of Cthulhu with him :-)

The shipwrecks explained

Bermuda is lovely:

Yeah, it pretty much all looks like this

Just beautiful:

Yay - weird phallic rocks!

And charming:


The whistling frogs sing loudly all night and the local people are the politest on the planet - you say "Good morning, how are you?" to everyone you meet. I mean everyone - I even had it lobbed at me by people getting off the bus as I was getting on. (Being British I went "Er, um, fine ... thank you," which was the wrong response.) I dread to think of the misery that awaits anyone born Bermudan who then goes out into the cold, ugly, unfriendly world the rest of the human race inhabits. On the other hand .... it is a little strange. It doesn't feel quite real.

Some of their socially conservative values need working on

Never mind. In the meantime it is paradise for tourists who like sun, sea and rum, in any combination. At eye-watering prices.


There were crystal caves:


There was a sea-cave in our hotel grounds you could swim in! A CAVE YOU COULD SWIM IN!!!


There were amazing exotic plants:

Banyan

There's a lot of fascinating and rather unpleasant history involving convict ships, slavery, yellow fever epidemics, concentration camps and miscellaneous suffering that just goes to show that a beautiful view isn't everything:

St Catherine's Fort - one of NINETY on a twenty-mile-long island

Though it sure does count for something:

So blue! My eyes! My eyes!
And I had a wonderful time :-)

"Well hello sailor..."
But yes, I did have the Barry Manilow earworm in my head for two weeks...

4 comments:

Jo said...

God what a paradise. Wow. Great photos.

What is the correct response? Here's it's the same thing right back - hi, how's it going? - fine thanks, how are you?

Janine Ashbless said...

I believe the correct response is just to repeat "good morning, how are you?" It's an entirely rhetorical question I think. A bit like the British "Alright?"/"Alright?"

Jo said...

I have to teach my students that - when people say 'how's it going?' it just means hello. You can say 'fine', 'grand' or 'not too bad' if it's actually quite bad :) But if you tell them any more, you sound like a weirdo :)

Janine Ashbless said...

So true! Argh, human interaction ...