Monday 12 November 2012

Eyecandy Monday

Life is a cabaret...

*Very Happy Mood!*

I went to my first ever burlesque show this weekend - staged as part of this national tour - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Burlesque is stripping, there's no two ways about it. But it's "artistic" stripping - with fancy costumes (some of which I'd LOVE to own), humourous commentary, fine singing acts .... and circus performance too. The biggest ovation of the night went to the hula-hoop act, which was breathtaking.

The other thing I liked was that the women preforming displayed a range of body-shapes which were, for want of a better way of putting it, "real." Curvy thighs, big bums, breasts of various sizes (all of them untouched by silicone). And all of them deployed sexily!  It was, from the viewpoint of female audience members who weren't necessarily there for purely lecherous purposes, cheering and revelatory and empowering. (The audience, by the way, was skewed toward the female.)

And tassel-dancing just makes me laugh :-)

2 comments:

t'Sade said...

I never went to a burlesque show, but I think I would enjoy it. Mainly for the playfulness. It feels more like a plot than just "take off random clothing" that I presume the strip place down the street does. Haven't been to either.

The only thing I was close was a drag show in Chicago. Now, that was a lot of fun and had the same skew (about 30 women for every male in the audience). It was fun, mainly because everyone was laughing, enjoying the jokes, and just having a ball.

Janine Ashbless said...

Yeah - I think the thing about burlesque is that it's playful and lighthearted. It's not *just* an appeal to the groin.