Sunday 10 July 2011

Poppy power!

I've had to dodge out between thunderstorms to get any gardening done this week...




Look - poppies! It's the first year I've grown any and I've totally fallen in love with them. They are silky, and so bright it's like a party in my brain just looking at them, and just glorious. I want poppies everywhere!

And pansies too!
 
Aren't they a wonderful colour?

We've had some very strange weather this year. Winter arrived with prolonged snow (extraordinary, here) in November (WTF?!)  - and then summer started in March. It didn't rain at all until June and every tree came into flower and fruit about a month early. Now we have rapidly alternating downpours and brilliant sun, which I love, frankly, but it does make planning awkward.



My poor cinnamon-barked myrtle was killed by the snow :-(


But look - it's sprouting again from the roots! *happy dance*

And this is my back garden that was so wrecked by the builders last year, come back to life:


I'm very proud. It may be wobbly but it's all my own work :-)

3 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

'tis beautiful! You should be proud.

Emerald said...

Your landscaping and greenery (and, um, flowery) look gorgeous! Especially glad to see the rejuvenation of the myrtle.

I would love to have a beautiful garden like that. (It seems having a house would be an indispensable prerequisite....)

Thanks for sharing!

Janine Ashbless said...

Thanks guys!

Oh yes, growing things is good for the soul, Emerald - even if, like me, you don't believe in souls, lol ;-)
A windowbox full of pansies is a minature oasis.