Wednesday 21 April 2010

Sexis ... all about me!



That's not actually true, but I just liked the title.

Sexis is a magazine (online and print) and it features a section about literary erotica. Rydell Johnson is a literature teacher who has written an article on monogamy, infidelity and polyamory: "Is monogamy the only viable lifestyle choice? Is it even possible for most people?"  He asked a bunch of questions of me and Alison Tyler (among others) because she's the editor of Playing With Fire, and I'd contributed a story, Scorched, which is all about a woman named Emerald who is having a secret fling with her husband's best friend. In the article he discusses my story in some detail!

Did we all agree on the subject? Find out by reading the whole article.

Scorched is, from my point of view, probably the most amoral story I've written. I was actually really pleased to be given the opportunity to discuss what connection I thought the characters' actions had with real life. Writing it had taken me out of my comfort zone. It's a dirty wicked story and it needs to be spanked and ... Uh, no, that's what happens to Emerald ...
;-)

Read an excerpt from Scorched here

Playing with Fire on Amazon  US : Amazon UK

2 comments:

Jo said...

Hmm. You're right. I didn't really think about the amorality when I read it though, I was too involved in the hotness...

Janine Ashbless said...

My take is that that's just fine, so long as it's fiction.

Though I've got to admit, a story that slaps me in the face with injustice or cruelty or just plain reckless selfishness does often just turn me off. Hey, I'm a product of my upbringing! Which is why most of the stuff that I write does have a moral viewpoint: I do not punish the good guys, and I rarely treat evildoing as something without (unpleasant) consequences.