Friday 7 August 2009

St Eulalia by J W Waterhouse

Today's kinky Victorian art is Saint Eulalia (painted 1885) by John William Waterhouse, possibly my favourite (late) Pre-Raphaelite. In fact I think this is the first Victorian painting I looked at all those years ago and thought, "Hey - hold on. There's something pervy going on here, isn't there?" because it's fairly clear that the corpse of the virgin martyr is intended to be an object of admiration and desire for the viewer. Great Waterhousian red hair though, and in every way a fantastic painting.

I saw the painting in the flesh yeaterday because I'm back down in London and they are currently holding a Waterhouse exhibiton at the Royal Academy. Over 40 paintings, almost all of them famous. It's just awesome - go see it if you have the chance! Circe and sirens, nymphs and knights (and nipples) and the Lady of Shallot ... and everyone has really great hair.

Why am I back Down South? Because tonight is the Black Lace Wake. I shall be wearing mourning, I think.

3 comments:

Sekrit Shoppa said...

Have a lovely time in your black lace mourning regalia - I'll be thinking of you tonight.

And Waterhouse is my favourite Pre-Raph too! High five in a late Victorian stylee!

Nikki Magennis said...

Have a lovely wake, if that's appropriate! Wish I could have been there too.

Janine Ashbless said...

Pictures later this week!